Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The sweet smell of smoke

First off, let me say thanks Chad! I mean that seriously and sarcastically. All I can think about lately is firing up the smoker and throwing some meat on. Tonight I tried out some cornish game hens. I brined them for about 4 hours, then did a nice rub and let them come up to room temp while I fired up the grill. I used a combination of 100% all natural hardwood lump charcoal and then hickory chunks. Amber was a little bummed as the skin was a bit too bitter and smoky to eat and that's her favorite part. But the meat was tender, juicy and the dark meat was falling off the bone. I think I will try smoking a whole chicken soon. The hens may have been too small and that is why they got bitter. Every experience is an opportunity to learn.





No comments:

Post a Comment