Monday, May 30, 2011

I don't "get" pale ales

I love beer. No one that knows me would argue that. My brother has even called me a "beer snob" on several occasions. I'm OK with that. I love wheat beers like Belgian whites and hefeweizens are probably my favorites. Rock Bottom is my normal choice for lunch on the weekend. Although since Gordon Biersch bought them and changed the recipe on some beers and took the Asian lettuce wraps off the menu I'm not so happy, but that may be another blog entry. I have recent really been liking stouts and some porters. But the one beer that no matter how much I try to like is a pale ale. Whether a normal pale ale or even worse an India pale ale, I just don't "get" it. They are so bitter that any other flavor gets over powered. They are so dry and hoppy I just want to drink water. My buddy Chad loves them. And my favorite bartender at Rock Bottom loves them too. "The hoppier the better" he has been known to say. But I just can't get into them. So many good breweries make them and I keep trying to like them. I drink them with an open mind when I get a sampler at a store or a microbrewery but I just can't do it.

Oh well. I guess you can't like everything. I stick to my spicy wheats and creamy stouts.

1 comment: